A blog born out of frustration

Several years ago, after having my daughter, I decided the baby weight was clearly not coming off in any sort of timely manner so I should probably just get myself some new hiking pants because cotton yoga pants were not going to work for long. I started searching for plus size (and more plus size than I'd previously been) hiking pants and what a terrible search that turned into. Ultimately, the only thing useful I found was a frustrated posting about how difficult it was to find plus-size outdoor gear. Several other frustrated women had posted what they had found, and through that I was able to find a pair of convertible trail pants that actually fit, I don't actually like them. They are too baggy throughout the legs and too long by far - but they fit, so that's something, I guess.

Until recently, I hadn't been able to figure out why there was no outdoor clothing for us plus size gals for a long time. A couple months ago did some research and found that there were two problems. I found conflicting information about how large most women in America are. Throughout many news articles, it's stated that around 65% of women are a size 14 or larger. While another article stated that while the average size of a woman in the U.S. is somewhere around a size 14, that's not actually the median number. Meaning, some of the largest sizes skew the average. So, while size 14 is the average, most women are not size 14.

The other problem several articles pointed out was that there's a gap somewhere around size 14 where women are doing less shopping at that size than when you get to larger sizes. The article I read on this (I can't find it at the moment, but will try to link later) stated that they believed this was due to women who gain a little weight into low plus sizes may be less inclined to shop until they lose weight. Whereas women who are solidly plus size aren't waiting to lose weight before shopping and may feel more comfortable where they are at. This is speculation, obviously, but both reasons basically support what retailers have been saying that their higher sizes just don't sell. So between those issues and any biases within brand identities (where plus size patrons may not "fit" the image of the company), it's no wonder that there are so few options for plus size activewear and outdoor clothing.

So, that brings me to this blog. I've been a hiker, camper, downhill skier, yoga practitioner, (not really competent) ice skater, canoer, backpacker for many years, and I've been various levels of plus sized for most of my adult life. So, I've needed a lot of clothing for these activities, which has lead to a lot of trial and error that I thought I could share with others who find themselves in the same boat.

I'm not interested in comments about how people should just lose weight, or opinions on the health of those on this site - this is not a blog or a space for that. This is a space for women who want to live their lives as they are in this moment and not wait until they've "lost that weight" or until they "look good in that outfit" to get on with living their lives.


Comments

Popular Posts